As stressful as moving is for you and your family, it can be even more of an ordeal for your pets, especially if they are used to a more structured daily routine. Make sure you keep them in mind when planning your upcoming long distance move. Use these tips to help keep your pets comfortable and calm during a long distance move.Stick to the routine as close as possible: feed your pets the same food at approximately the same time as you would on a normal day to prevent confusion and additional nausea they could experience in the car.
- Take along any medications your pet needs, as well as their medical history documents.
- Make sure to stop often (at least every couple of hours) to let your pets get out and get exercise and go to the bathroom.
- If your move will take more than a day, research pet-friendly hotels to stay the night in along the way.
- Don't EVER leave your furry friends in a hot car unattended, even if it is for just a few minutes!
- Do your research and find a new veterinarian to take your pets near their new home.